I finished my oatmeal scarf. Needless to say, it didn't quite turn out the way that I had planned, but I have a very good idea why.
I followed the directions in that particular version of Quilting Arts. I pinned the scarf out, layered on the oatmeal, waited until it was dry, and then applied the thickened dye with a foam brush.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the results that I was looking for and here are some reasons why:
1) I didn't leave the oatmeal to dry overnight, so there is a chance the some of large clumps of oatmeal on the surface didn't dry completely.
2) I rinsed the dye out too soon.
3) The weave structure got in the way of making sure that some of the definition from the oats really showed.
4) The pick of tabby in between the pick of pattern was woven with sewing thread, which is polyester. Polyester doesn't dye with procion dyes.
So, I decided to screen print an oatmeal texture on the top to see if I could get some more oat-like definition. I laid down a layer of oatmeal, put a silk screen face down on top of it, and then screened thickened dye over the oatmeal. I let it dry and then printed on top of the scarf.
It still didn't turn out like I had hoped, but I don't think i ruined it. I like the interplay of the red dye and the reddish-purple warp. Since then, I have started my second scarf in the series, which I will over dye using a resist of mashed potato flakes.
Again, I am using an overshot pattern. Here are some images from Lisa Kerpoe's website about what mashed potato resists can effect the surface treatment of a piece of cloth.
I think that I am going to try for an effect similar to the one on the upper left. The bad news is is that the weaving of my mashed potato scarf is currently on hold. Posters went up this week for the Rebel's Call for Entries, which are due to the Pitt County Arts Council at Emerge in 2 weeks. I decided that I was going to create a weaving specifically for that publication, but in order to do what I want to do, I have to start first thing Monday morning, and it will probably take all two weeks to finish. I am going to continue working with Belize imagery and create a weaving using a double weave pickup to do a piece that is 20" x 36". I have to count every single thread. I have been told that I am crazy for trying to do this within these time parameters, but I think that I can do it. I will have sketches and photos next week.