Today was the my last first day of art school. Time to get down to business.
Last night, those of us in thesis had a meeting to discuss the upcoming year. At the end of last semester, I was sort of disappointed that I wasn't teaching. However, after last night, I'm kind of glad I'm not. There are just all sorts of meetings and things that I'll have to go through this semester and worrying about demos and grading and the like is something that I do not need on top of it all. Looking at the schedule for this semester, it became very obvious to me that while I am ahead in the writing aspects of a thesis (I've been writing about my work in some capacity all summer), I am behind in the actual work. I finally passed the one-hundred portrait mark, but I think I will be working on my portraits right up until the installation of the work. That's a daunting task that will loom over my head every day until then.
In other news, I have also been diligently working on my designs for my digital weavings. I'm still focusing on text as the basis for each image and I have also been doing a lot of research into how journalling and writing are used in therapy. It's a small stretch from the rest of my thesis work, but that's okay. At least it still relates.
I have started writing about different aspects of my life that weigh on my mind and cause me a lot of grief. While I won't discuss the specifics that will be the basis for this piece, I will say that it has to do with antidepressants.
For this work, I really want to create a multitude of layers of text and really give the viewer a sense of being overwhelmed. My thought is that this piece will be very heavily processed once it comes back from the mill and I want to really play around with printing the text with different discharge agents.
With this sample I was working with the ideas of adding fabric to the piece once its woven to provide the piece with a sense of depth.
Then, I did another sample, but decided to cut away the brown layer to reveal something underneath. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it really does what I want it to in terms of depth. However, I don't think that this will be doable in this method of weaving, so even though I like it better, I will probably end of sticking with option one.
The other difference between the two images is that I decided to add purple outlines to the second one, which I would stitch on with the sewing machine. Because the overall image is very warm, I thought it might add a nice contrast and make certain areas of the piece really pop.