I didn't get as much done last week as I was hoping and the work that I did get done wasn't particularly rewarding.
I did manage to get my laminated paper made. First, I wrote out the text I wanted on a piece of paper using a sharpie (see last week's post) and then made a copy of the text. I cut out a piece of organza slightly larger than the final size I needed and laid it on top of the photocopy. Finally, using a squeegee, I spread a thin layer of matte gel medium over the top. The key to getting this technique to work is to use copies made on a toner based copier. I have used copies from a non-toner based printer, but the success has been hit or miss. Without the toner, it seems the text/image does not adhere to the organza. I have also had mixed success with colored copies. Also, polyester organza works just as well, but for the purposes of dyeing, I like to use silk. I am not super familiar with dyeing polyester, and knowing my luck, I would put holes in the polyester with the iron.
Then I let the piece dry overnight. You can speed up the process with an iron, but I like to let it sit and cure overnight. I find more of the text adheres when it sits overnight. I find that drying it with an iron means that not all of the text/image get properly adhered to the organza.
Once it is dry, I soak it in warm water and then peel off the excess paper with my fingers.
Then, I just have to let it dry, iron out the wrinkles, and cut it down to size. I will do all this later because I am still trying to figure out how I want to treat the surface of the piece.
I experimented some last week with cutting into the surface of the paper. Removing pieces of fabric from the piece was something that I wanted to do in the original sketch. However, in the first draft of the project I did, this was what made the piece unsuccessful and caused me to scrap it. The pieces were too large and much of the image was lost.
I played around with a couple different cuts:
I used this piece of packing as inspiration...
...and cutting arrows into the surface. Since the text talks about direction, I thought the arrow motif might be interesting.
But, I am unhappy with how cutting into the surface is working. I am just not accomplishing what I want to and it is frustrating. So, this week I am going to play around with manipulating the surface. I am think about experimenting with some piecing and some pleating.