The countdown is on to the end of the semester. I have been working frantically, but I am not getting as much done as I had hoped I would in my fevered state. I haven't been working in the art building on weekends, but I think now through the rest of the semester I might have to. Anyway, the beads for the weaving of my grandfather finally came and it is starting to look really good. I love the colors of the beads and they relate well to the weaving I did of my grandmother.
I also completed the weaving of a scarf to test the effect of using corn syrup to resist dye. I am so proud of myself! There are no threading or weaving errors.
Here are some examples of what a corn syrup resist can do, courtesy of Lisa Kerpoe.
The more I think about it, the more I want to weave yardage of white, plain weave and test the resists on that as well. I think the complexity of the weave structure has contributed to the lack of detail in my previous scarves, and I would like to see if that changes on a white plain weave structure. Also, I found out that graduate students in the school of art are now going to be reviewed annually. So, in March, I will have to give a presentation about the work I have done this past year as well as write a paper about my current research (which is virtually non-existent). I hope that by testing these resists on yardage, I will be able to redeem my not-so-great attempts.
I am also working on another beaded project. My professor, Christine, showed me how to weave a beaded bag off the loom. I didn't just want to make a plain bag or one with a generic pattern. I wanted it to be reminiscent of something, so I decided to emulate a pineapple. Surprise!
Originally, it was supposed to be eight inches wide and tapered off at the end, but I was having trouble manipulating the beads the way that I wanted and still keep the same pattern. So, it ended up a rectangle. I do still have plans to add a lining, beaded leaves, and some sort of closure to make it quasi-functional, but first I have to finish the bag. I does take a long time, since each bead has to be added on individually. With the original plan, I wanted the piece to be a a clutch that I could actually use for specially occasions, but now, I think that it will be more of a keepsake bag for my real Belizean coins. Very appropriate I think.
Also, don't forget to be checking out my other website: visualartsacademy.weebly.com!