I finally completed another project this semester: the pineapple bag that I started a couple weeks ago is finally finished, although it looks nothing like my original sketch. I am still happy with it, and if I had more time before the 2011 Holiday Sale, I would make a couple similar ones to sell. Here are some pictures (sorry the colors are not very true to life):
And, as promised last post, some pictures of my corn syrup scarf:
I can also update you on three exhibitions looking for work coming up in the next few months:
HONEY, a dynamic, juried exhibition embodying and celebrating the role of the honeybee. In light of the international Colony Collapse Disorder crisis and global concerns over war, economic collapse and a worldwide food shortage, the fate of the honeybee mirrors the fate of humanity. Philosopher Rudolf Steiner noted the bees as an indicator species in developing his ideas on biodynamic farming and caring for the earth. This call for entries seeks artwork related to these issues and honoring the majestic apis mellifera.
For full details, please download and read the prospectus [PDF format].
Entries are due by January 20th, 2012.
The exhibition dates are March 10 – April 8, 2012.
To read about the BigSURS 2012 Intercollegiate Exhibition, please click here
And finally, to get information on the Schwa National Juried Exhibition, go to this site
Finally, I have finished a project this semester and I must say, I am very pleased.
And here are some in progress shots!
I was also able to get my corn syrup scarf dyed this past week. Final pictures to come next update!
The countdown is on to the end of the semester. I have been working frantically, but I am not getting as much done as I had hoped I would in my fevered state. I haven't been working in the art building on weekends, but I think now through the rest of the semester I might have to. Anyway, the beads for the weaving of my grandfather finally came and it is starting to look really good. I love the colors of the beads and they relate well to the weaving I did of my grandmother.
I also completed the weaving of a scarf to test the effect of using corn syrup to resist dye. I am so proud of myself! There are no threading or weaving errors.
Here are some examples of what a corn syrup resist can do, courtesy of Lisa Kerpoe.
The more I think about it, the more I want to weave yardage of white, plain weave and test the resists on that as well. I think the complexity of the weave structure has contributed to the lack of detail in my previous scarves, and I would like to see if that changes on a white plain weave structure. Also, I found out that graduate students in the school of art are now going to be reviewed annually. So, in March, I will have to give a presentation about the work I have done this past year as well as write a paper about my current research (which is virtually non-existent). I hope that by testing these resists on yardage, I will be able to redeem my not-so-great attempts.
I am also working on another beaded project. My professor, Christine, showed me how to weave a beaded bag off the loom. I didn't just want to make a plain bag or one with a generic pattern. I wanted it to be reminiscent of something, so I decided to emulate a pineapple. Surprise!
Originally, it was supposed to be eight inches wide and tapered off at the end, but I was having trouble manipulating the beads the way that I wanted and still keep the same pattern. So, it ended up a rectangle. I do still have plans to add a lining, beaded leaves, and some sort of closure to make it quasi-functional, but first I have to finish the bag. I does take a long time, since each bead has to be added on individually. With the original plan, I wanted the piece to be a a clutch that I could actually use for specially occasions, but now, I think that it will be more of a keepsake bag for my real Belizean coins. Very appropriate I think.
Also, don't forget to be checking out my other website: visualartsacademy.weebly.com!