Here is another sketch and final design.
So, I was really excited last week when I got my weave blankets because that meant I could put designing into high gear. Well, I have hit another snag. I was under the impression that I could input the number of the color I wanted from the weave blanket into photoshop. Evidently, that is not the case because when I tried typing different color numbers into the color selector in Photoshop, I kept getting colors other than the one I wanted. So, I'm still designing, but I am not really finishing my designs. I have 2 pieces semi-finished. I still have to index the files, put in the proper colors, and add a border.
There is still a lot that needs to be done to it when it comes back from the mill, but I'm really excited about it!
Still waiting on the weave blanket. Apparently it was forgotten in a trunk and never got mailed. Supposedly, this has been corrected.
I did have my first files looked over and I evidently did everything correctly, so that's a bonus. I just have to watch my use of colors and such so that I am not repeating the same weave structure up the length of the piece so I don't create weird tension on the loom. I'll be able to evaluate that when I get the weave blanket.
I have been designing full force, taking the time to learn new things in Photoshop so that my life is easier. Here's what I have for my accordion book piece so far:
I decided to design it as one continuous piece so that everything lines up. All I have left to do is separate out the panels, add the portrait and index the colors. Then, one piece will be finished! Here's a detail:
I've really had a lot of fun playing with transparency. I'm really pleased with how this is turning out and it should be done by the end of the week.
I'm still waiting on my weave blanket, but that hasn't stopped me from working. I am trying to power through my designs because I would really like to send them off to the mill by the end of the month. But, I still have a massive amount of work to do. It's very intimidating.
Anyway, the annual Graduate Exhibition opened last week. Good news! My portraits won an award! I was super shocked because they haven't been accepted into many shows recently and they most certainly haven't won any awards. I think I mentioned it before, but I was really struggling to find motivation. I think I found some.
I also gave my presentation at the NCAEA conference this past weekend. It went okay. The past couple of presentations I've given at conferences have had five or fewer people attend them. But, for this presentation, there was not an empty chair in the room. It was so intimidating. I definitely choked and left out half of the things that I intended to say. But there were a few people who stayed after it was over and from their questions, seemed generally interested in the topic, so that was good. I guess. I know what to do differently next year (if there is a next year).
Lastly, I was asked yesterday to jury the Margaret Blount High School Art Competition again. I am really excited about that too. I had such fun doing it last time. My goal this year is the make it to the reception. I didn't last time because it fell over Christmas break and I usually go home. I'm not planning on going home for break this year though so I can work without any distractions, so I should be able to make it.
I've ordered a weave blanket so I can really get into designing and to see what the weave structures are going to look like on my pieces that come back from the mill. It's not here yet. I know it's in the mail, but the anticipation is killing me!
Anyway, I've been doing a lot of thinking since my last blog post about my first thesis committee meeting and I have come to some conclusions:
I started the Phenomenology of Impairment as a means of self analysis and as a way to deal with the ever changing emotions of living with depression and anxiety. I was hoping that the entire process would be cathartic, but as it has turned out, the journaling has been more helpful to me than any other aspect of the project. In fact, as a whole, the project has caused me more anxiety because it has been so time consuming. Much more so than I initially thought it would. So maybe that's my conclusion for this entire process: I make art to reckon with the world, to process experiences and calm my mind, i.e. self directed therapy. But not all projects are "good" therapy. So now, I can move on.
I also got the contact information for an art therapist working near Greenville, so I plan to get in touch with her to gain some clinical insight and to (maybe) see what she thinks about