Every time that I think I am going to finish a project, something inevitably goes wrong. I finished the bead weaving of my grandmother about two weeks ago, and since then, I have been working weaving one of my grandfather as well. However, I got half way through a piece, only to find that there was zero contrast. No image was discernible amongst the beads. It is incredibly frustrating for several reasons. First, I have to order my beads. I cannot simple go to a bead store and purchase them. So, it takes a couple of days to get them in the mail. Secondly, each row of beads takes me 15 to 20 minutes to weave, which means by the time I am half way through a 5x7 inch piece, I have already invested hours worth of work in a weaving. Needless to say, I have to start over. To make it an even more new experience, I am changing my image from just a simple portrait of my grandfather to one of him in his marine uniform.
While I am waiting on my new batch of beads to arrive, my professor is going to show me some bead weaving techniques that result in three dimensional objects and that do not require a loom.
I have also started on the next scarf in my "Resists From the Kitchen" series. This one has a pale blue warp with a navy blue weft that will be over dyed once completely using layers of light corn syrup.
It is also that time of the year again when I get to register for classes. I am not sure how I feel about my choices for Spring 2012. I am taking a Weaving II class that will teach me how to draft patterns using Weave Maker and a three dimensional weaving class that will cover weaving a basic tube, a pulled warp technique, weaving with untraditional materials, and coiling. As I have been told, this is not something that I am going to find in a textbook, so it is worth taking, especially if I ever want to teach at a university level, but 3-Dimensional work is not really my thing. In addition, I am taking a US art history course, which I feel could either be really interesting or really dull and a class at Emerge gallery that deals with resumé writing, gallery installation: all the business aspects of being an artist.
Yes! After two years of planning, I finally got married! I don't have any pictures from my photographer yet, but as soon as I get them, I will make sure that I post them.
I also started a new blog detailing the work I am doing with the students at the Greenville Museum of Art's Visual Arts Academy. The first entry in the blog is nothing fantastic since I am trying to catch anyone who reads it up on three weeks worth of work in one entry, but it is sure to be a fascinating read as the semester progresses with weekly updates! Check it out at: visualartsacademy.weebly.com!
I didn't get much work done last week since I was having to take care of last minute wedding details, but I did manage to finish my oatmeal scarf, although it turned out to be another disappointment, primarily because my dye was not dark enough and I applied the thickened dye with a foam brush, which caused the dye to penetrate the thinner layers of mashed potatoes, eliminating some of the detail. I was surprised to see just how much the mashed potatoes, when dry, resembled potato dextrin on the fabric. Oh well. Since the wedding is over, I am going to take the opportunity to take a deep breath and re-start the semester. Hopefully, I will have more success.
So much has happened in the last two weeks that I have barely had time to think. I had three pieces accepted into the 2011 Graduate Exhibition, two pieces juried into a show at the Greenville Museum of Art, and one piece juried into the Rebel 54 show at Emerge gallery. I placed 3rd in the textiles category in the Rebel show, but I have yet to find out what, if anything, I was awarded in the museum show. That has been a debacle in and of itself. I was selected to be in the show if I framed my pieces. I am a little insulted and of the impression that if the juror did not like how my work was finished, then it should not have been selected to be in the show in the first place. Anyway, I do not want to have to back out of the show, so I am currently working on framing the pieces selected.
As for my current work, lets just say that it has been delayed. Trying to plan a wedding and go to graduate school full time has been difficult, and in the past two weeks I have gotten very little done. My pickup double weave is only a third of the way finished. I realized that there was going to be no feasible way that it got done in time for Rebel submissions, so I decided to halt work on that and finish my mashed potato scarf. I have yet to pick back up with it. I also encountered a problem with my yarns and beating. Some of the yarns that I had decided to use were slubbed yarns, which means instead of the ideal 15 picks per inch, I am getting about 25-30 picks per inch. So there are parts of the piece that are twice as long as originally intended, meaning I am at serious risk of running out of warp. So, I had to rip some of it out and reweave it with a regular 5/2 cotton yarn in hopes of conserving warp space.
I did manage to complete my mashed potato scarf, albeit unsuccessfully since it has two weaving threading errors in it.
Currently, it is stretched out on my table covered in mashed potatoes and thickened dye.
I also started and finished a bead weaving, a process that I like a lot despite the fact that it can be frustrating at times. The image comes from a year book photo of my grandmother. I have beads on order to start on of my grandfather, but what I am going to do with them remains unseen. They need to be placed into some sort of environment, and I have a couple ideas, but nothing that I am exceedingly excited about.