I came to the realization the other day that the next couple of weeks are going to be very hectic. I am desperately trying to get my double weave done for submission to Rebel 54, but it is going so much slower than I anticipated. Of course, it didn't help that I wove, ripped out, and then re-wove the first half inch at least four times. I am hoping that once I get past the first segment, that the weaving process will go much quicker.
Also, I received a call for entries from the Greenville Museum of Art the other day. Lucky for me, the submissions are due the same day as Rebel submissions. So, I have decided that I am going to create a new piece for that show too, However, this one won't be a weaving. I am going to do another discharge print that correlates with "Temple of the Jaguar Masks", "Mask Temple", and "High Temple". I went online and found a mapped layout of the Lamanai archeological site, and I think that I am going to do a discharge print of that. It should make for a wonderfully abstract piece.
Also, I had a meeting about my job at GMA on Thursday. We spent the day planning a curriculum for the upcoming year of Visual Arts Academy. We have some really cool things planned, so I think that I may start another Weebly site for VAA and keep a blog about what the kids are doing. We know for a fact that the first assignment will just be quick gesture drawings of popcorn, but the first real project will have to do with pumpkins. I have spent the past couple of days experimenting with carving different craftable pumpkins, and let me tell you that they are not all created equal. I think that ultimately, we will end up using real pumpkins for this assignment, but I was a little disgruntled to read this morning that there is going to be a pumpkin shortage thanks to Hurricane Irene, which wiped out quite a few pumpkin patches in the Northeast. You will have to stay tuned to see how our pumpkin debacle is resolved.
I finished my oatmeal scarf. Needless to say, it didn't quite turn out the way that I had planned, but I have a very good idea why.
I followed the directions in that particular version of Quilting Arts. I pinned the scarf out, layered on the oatmeal, waited until it was dry, and then applied the thickened dye with a foam brush.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the results that I was looking for and here are some reasons why:
1) I didn't leave the oatmeal to dry overnight, so there is a chance the some of large clumps of oatmeal on the surface didn't dry completely.
2) I rinsed the dye out too soon.
3) The weave structure got in the way of making sure that some of the definition from the oats really showed.
4) The pick of tabby in between the pick of pattern was woven with sewing thread, which is polyester. Polyester doesn't dye with procion dyes.
So, I decided to screen print an oatmeal texture on the top to see if I could get some more oat-like definition. I laid down a layer of oatmeal, put a silk screen face down on top of it, and then screened thickened dye over the oatmeal. I let it dry and then printed on top of the scarf.
It still didn't turn out like I had hoped, but I don't think i ruined it. I like the interplay of the red dye and the reddish-purple warp. Since then, I have started my second scarf in the series, which I will over dye using a resist of mashed potato flakes.
Again, I am using an overshot pattern. Here are some images from Lisa Kerpoe's website about what mashed potato resists can effect the surface treatment of a piece of cloth.
I think that I am going to try for an effect similar to the one on the upper left. The bad news is is that the weaving of my mashed potato scarf is currently on hold. Posters went up this week for the Rebel's Call for Entries, which are due to the Pitt County Arts Council at Emerge in 2 weeks. I decided that I was going to create a weaving specifically for that publication, but in order to do what I want to do, I have to start first thing Monday morning, and it will probably take all two weeks to finish. I am going to continue working with Belize imagery and create a weaving using a double weave pickup to do a piece that is 20" x 36". I have to count every single thread. I have been told that I am crazy for trying to do this within these time parameters, but I think that I can do it. I will have sketches and photos next week.
Well, Hurricane Irene through off my plans for finishing my oatmeal scarf this past week. I missed school both Monday and Tuesday, and instead of working on my scarf all day on Tuesday, I ended up working in the school's gallery all day instead. However, I did manage to get the scarf woven. Now all I have to do is put the oatmeal on and dye it.
I think that it turned out really well. Although, I do have one pretty noticeable weaving error if you know what to look for. I hope to start my next scarf in the series on Tuesday. I already have my loom warped.
In the mean time, check out a display case that I had to help with. The graduate director came to my professor and wanted the case filled with work by the textiles grads since ECU was having an Open House for Alumni.