Well, I haven't gotten as far in my doll making endeavors as I had hoped. I have had some trouble in a couple aspects of the doll's construction. First, I initially wanted to make arms that had fully wired hands, but I cannot get the fingers to turn. I even bought a tube turner and still, those fingers will not turn. It is very frustrating. So I think that I am going to have to use a different pattern for the arms. Secondly, I wanted her to have a soft sculpted face, but in order to keep some features, i.e. the nose flares, I have to pull the thread really tight, stretching the fabric and wrinkling the face. Also, since I using a pattern for the sculpting, I am using a grid for the stitches and entering and re-entering in several points a long the grid. This makes the face look like it has a bunch of strange piercings. Unfortunately, I am also going to have to rule out sculpting the face and paint it instead.
Hooray! My doll pattern has finally arrived after a couple long weeks of waiting. I am hoping that I will actually be able to start the construction process Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Can't wait!
I thought that since I am going to have my work hanging in a public place, that I need to have some postcards to advertise myself and my work. I don't want to use the same image that I used for my show card ("Mask Temple"), so I started playing around on Vistaprint and came up with two new card designs. The only problem is I like both of them. So I need an opinion: which one is the best?
Great news! Select pieces of my work will be on display at Red Star Coffee in Pittsboro, NC from July 1 - August 1! If you're in the area, you should definitely stop by and check it out and get a cup of coffee!
Red Star Coffee
53 Hillsboro Street
Pittsboro, NC 27312
Mon - Sat:7:30 am-6:00 pm
Sun:8:30 am-1:00 pm
Well, as of today, I still don't have a doll pattern, but I did take a trip to Joann's this morning and get the rest of the fabric that I need to make my doll. Check it out:
I tried to stick with 100% cotton fabrics as much as possible. I have a history of melting any Polyester that I work with. These two fabrics will become Hespera's robe (the purple will be the lining). I love the blue fabric on the left. It has this embossed diamond texture that makes it look quilted even though it isn't.
As promised, her are some sketches for the doll that I am planning on creating this summer. I have yet to receive my pattern or my stuffing fork, and seeing as how I wanted to start the construction process this Friday, I am beginning to think that it is not going to happen. I'm a little frustrated by that fact.
Anyway, my design was inspired by the Greek spiritual being, Hespera. She is one of the Hesperides who was charged with watering the scared apple tree. Her name means "light of evening".
If I don't get my pattern and stuffing fork by this weekend, I will at least upload images of the fabric and some of the beads that I plan to use!
I really have to get better about updating this thing. I just don' think about it because I am not actively in the studio. I just want to catch everyone up on what I have been up to since graduation almost a month ago.
After graduation I went home for the summer to work for my mom. Hopefully this is the last summer ever that I have to do this. I would love to get a job in Greenville and stay there instead of having to work 2 hours away from home. I haven't been back yet, but I am planning on going in the next couple of weeks.
I have been keep myself busy although I vowed that I wasn't going to do anything this summer. I have been working on some circle scarves for the ECU holiday sale next year. They are half crocheted and have fabric that I purchased at Hancock's. Here's an example:
I still have a couple of kinks to work out like the width of the scarf. I have worn this one a couple of times just to see what it wears like. It is very comfortable, but the width makes in very thick. So I want to try and narrow it down to make it less chunky.
I have also been working on a design for a fabric doll. Doll making is something that I have wanted to try for a while, but I have never had the free time during the summer to do so. I have always had to worry about what I needed to do to get ready for the next semester or what work I needed to finish to have it ready for my show. I have done pages of sketches in my sketchbook and I took advantage of the Memorial Day sale a Joann's this past weekend. I also ordered my pattern. I am building her in the fashion of Barbara Willis' designs:
I bought this book a while back and have had it sitting on a shelf for the past couple of years. I highly recommend it to anyone with a interest in doll making. Ms. Willis walks you through how to make three different style dolls and her tutorials leave a lot of room for creative interpretation. I will try and upload some sketches soon. My doll will probably be about 20" tall with a softly sculpted face and fully wired hand with individual fingers. I hope that she will be free standing, since she will have a button joint at her hip. I am super excited about getting to work as soon as my pattern gets here. I just hope it works out the way that I want it too.
I have also been working on sketches for weaving techniques that I want to experiment with in the fall. I can't wait. I wish that I could go ahead and start working on my MFA now!
Lastly, a treat from me to you. My new favorite song:
Gotta love Gaga!