I decided that after I finished my thesis work that I would do a self portrait every year.
I actually started 2014's portrait back in January, and then life got in the way and it got packed away in a box. I pulled it out in June to attempt and finish it in time to submit a portfolio for a job and upon completion, decided that I really didn't care much for it. So back in it's box it went.
I recently pulled it back out again because I wanted to stick to my intended goals of one per year. I have been working diligently in my free time the past week to get a second one underway.
My intention is that it will look similar to my 2013 portrait "I Don't Know Who I Am Anymore": dye and watercolor on silk laminated paper. The first step in the process was to generate a text for the project. I tossed around several ideas for what I wanted it to say, even though it would more than likely be illegible by the end of the project.
I finally decided on the following statement: "2014 was a year of change: of endings a long time coming and unexpected new beginnings. I'm not entirely sure I like the direction my life is heading." Once I wrote it out in sharpie, I made a photocopy. The paper lamination technique has to be done with a toner based photocopy, but more on that later.
My next goal was to go ahead and get the silk screen made so I would have it ready to go once I was ready to print. I took a photo and traced over the strong shadows with sharpie. This is something that I could have done in Photoshop relatively quickly, but I like to do things by hand if I can. There are just certain nuances you can capture by hand that you can't digitally.
Once that was done, I transferred the design to contact paper and proceeded to cut out the areas that were colored in black (the areas that I needed to print).
My goal for this coming week is to go ahead and get the laminated paper made and cut down to size. I also want to experiment with surface textures. The first project I completed had almond shapes cut out over the entire surface and then I went back in and reattached some of the pieces with thread. However, I thought this too distracting and I want to experiment with making cuts into the paper in such a way that adds texture, but doesn't detract from the overall piece.